Parsnip and Carrot Soup Serves: 4
- 2 cups of chopped parsnips
- 2 cups of chopped carrots
- 1 cup of chopped sweet onion
- 4 cups of vegetable stock
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Chives to top the soup
- Olive oil for sautéing
- Place a large pot on the stove top and add about 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Once the oil has warmed up add the cup of chopped onions and cook until translucent.
- Once the onions are ready add the parsnips, carrots, and vegetable stock to the pot.
- Bring the pot to a boil, then reduce heat and cover.
- Test the vegetables every 5 minutes after they have been cooking for 10 minutes.
- Once the vegetables are fork tender and can be mashed by the fork, add the garlic powder, paprika, turmeric, and salt and pepper.
- Allow the soup to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Once cooled slightly add to a blender in batches until the soup is blended well and presents as a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Pour the soup back into the pot and heat back up for around 10 minutes on low heat.
- Let the soup cool 5 minutes and then serve.
- Once ready you can choose to top the soup with fresh black pepper and or freshly chopped chives.
Did you know? Parsnips are a great source of potassium and are a low-calorie vegetable choice with plenty of fiber!