Pears are a member of the Rosaceae plant family, along with apples, peaches, plums, cherries and an abundance of other fruits. There are many different varieties of pears, however the most commonly grown in the United States include Bartlett, Anjou, Bosc and Asian pears. Pears are in season in the seacoast area through October, however they are still available at the farmer’s markets and can be used if you have some leftover from this year’s harvest!
One pear has approximately 100 calories, 28 carbohydrates, and 5.5 grams of fiber. A pear also contains 12% vitamin C, 10% vitamin K, 7% copper and 6% potassium of the daily recommended values. Due to their high vitamin C content, pears help support a healthy immune system and help to prevent free radical damage. Pears also contain a large amount of soluble fiber, which helps to maintain blood glucose levels after eating a meal and has also been shown to decrease blood cholesterol levels.
Ever since I was little I always loved eating pears. I would always have them when I went over to my grandma’s house. She would leave them on the counter, by the window and let them ripen until they were soft and juicy and delicious. They are the perfect snack to hold you over in between meals or even for a little after dinner dessert. Below I have shared one of my favorite ways to incorporate pears into a healthier dessert dish.
Apple Pear Crisp
Apple Pear Filling
3 pears, peeled and sliced
4 apples, peeled and sliced
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3 tablespoons raw honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1 cup regular oats
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. To a large bowl add, sliced pears, sliced apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, raw honey, salt, and lemon juice. Gently toss to coat all the fruit with the spices.
3. Pour fruit mixture into 13×9″ baking dish.
4. In medium bowl, add regular oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and butter.
5. Using your hands combine the butter into the dry ingredients until everything is combined and crumbly.
6. Sprinkle Crisp topping on top of the fruit mixture.
7. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until top is browned.
8. Remove from oven and serve! (optional: top with vanilla ice cream)