Today, for my blog, I thought I would talk about a wonderful program known as “Harvest of the Month.” The goals of this program are very simple- seasonal eating, healthy diets, and supporting the local economy. The harvest for the month of February is cabbage. Despite the fact that it does not sound all that exciting, cabbage packs a wide variety of nutrients- particularly vitamin K, vitamin C, and folate! Therefore, it might be worth trying this month! A simple cabbage recipe, that is one of my personal favorites, is braised cabbage. The recipe below yields four servings, and requires the following:
- 1lb cabbage (1 head)
- 3/4 stick of butter (6 Tbsp)
- 1/2 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste, any herb or spice, or even bacon!
- Slice cabbage into 1/2 inch-wide ribbons and place into a wide pan with the water.
- Cook, covered, over medium heat until the cabbage is tender, approximately 10 minutes.
- Drain the cabbage and toss with butter, salt, and pepper.
If that isn’t enough to convince you, check out how beautiful this vegetable is!