After posting the zucchini information sheet this week, I thought it would be useful to post about one of the recipe ideas listed on the sheet because zucchini will continue to be in season for a while now. These falafel are tasty and perfect for summer dinners and lunches. They are great by themselves but also lend well to wraps and salads.
1 can of chickpeas/garbanzo beans
1/2 cup shredded zucchini (about 1-2 small zucchini)
1/4 cup chopped red onion
4 Tablespoons flour
2 Tablespoons bread crumbs
1 Teaspoon Cumin
1 Teaspoon Coriander
Salt and Pepper to taste
Olive Oil added at end to get the desired texture
Oil for frying (I used coconut oil due to the high smoke point, but vegetable oil, canola, or avocado oil also work.)
You will need
- Open and drain the chickpeas.
- Add all ingredients except zucchini and oil to a food processor, blend until well incorporated.
- If the mixture is too crumbly continue to process and add a little bit of olive oil until the mixture resembles a paste.
- Add the zucchini and pulse until mixed in, don’t chop too finely, you want the shredded zucchini for texture.
- Form the mixture into small patties or balls.
- Either fry or bake the falafel until golden brown on both sides.
- Place the falafel on a paper towel to absorb the oil if you fry them.
- Enjoy with a tahini dressing or condiment of your choosing.