Seacoast Eat Local is a non-profit organization, and our work is made possible by passionate volunteers in the Seacoast. With diverse people offering their time and talents, we’re able to connect consumers with farmers and keep local food a vibrant aspect of Seacoast life.
Our volunteer opportunities include staffing info tables at community events, helping farmers unload at our winter markets, assisting in data collection for Seacoast Harvest, working with our SNAP/EBT & Debit program at farmers’ markets, and creating interest around many local food events.
Volunteers are inspired to help for different reasons… they may buy local food for environmental reasons, or they may delight in local food as a home chef or as a nutritionist. Some people are motivated to support local agriculture because it is a great way to contribute to our regional economy, or they may want to preserve open land in the Seacoast. Whatever your reasons are for supporting local food, Seacoast Eat Local can use your help.
Volunteer for the Seacoast Area Mobile Market
This year, we’re working with multiple sites to provide access to fresh, local food across the Seacoast region. Some exciting new partnerships have provided us a chance at reaching new populations through a weekly schedule of Mobile Market stops. We need volunteers that are able to help at weekly recurring stops.
Here’s a look at some of the tasks our volunteers do for the Mobile Market:
- Lift, stack, and move products as needed (up to 50 lbs)
- Prep product for sale (bagging, weighing)
- Set up and break down mobile market stops (tents, tables, signs, etc)
- End of the day cleaning of SAMM vehicle and equipment
- Help creatively setting up displays that are visually pleasing to customers
- Operate point-of-sale and process customer transactions
- Assist with daily reports and inventory
We ask the following of all volunteers:
- Interact professionally and positively with producers, customers, and staff
- Be sensitive with all populations
- Be willing to learn and contribute in a meaningful way
- Adhere to all COVID protocols
- Follow all health and safety guidelines as presented by staff
- Communicate clearly to staff about experiences, problems, and important information
What we provide for volunteers:
- A safe and friendly work environment
- All the necessary training and equipment to get the job done
- A staff member on-site working with you at all times
- Access to necessary facilities such as a restroom
- An accessible place to park
- A fun and memorable experience working with the community
If you’re interested in becoming a weekly volunteer for SAMM this season, please email Celeste Gingras, Mobile Market Coordinator, at [email protected] Wednesdays and Thursdays will be days when we need the most help. Don’t hesitate to reach out with any additional questions you have about volunteering with SAMM!
Would you like to receive occasional emails when volunteer opportunities arise? Sign up for our volunteer e-mail list below: